Summer vacation means many pool days, popsicles and flip flops, but it also means something else. Oftentimes, it means hearing “I’m boooorrreeed” more than normal. We want to provide you with an easy response for when you hear this all-too-familiar saying. It’s called an “I’m Bored” Jar. It’s super simple to make and is perfect for a child who cannot think of anything to do on a long summer day! It can even double as a “busy bee item” for when you need to get things done around the house. It does take some time to create, but once it’s made, it will last you for a while!
- Jar or container of some sort
- Popsicle sticks
- Craft materials (optional)
- Write on each popsicle stick different activities that your little one is capable of doing on their own. Some examples are as follows, feel free to come up with your own ideas:
- Write a story
- Put on a play
- Collect rocks and paint them
- Look up movement videos on Youtube
- Make a fort
- Play with slime
- Go through your old toys and donate any you don’t use
- Draw with chalk outside
- Write a letter to a friend or loved one
- Put on a talent show
- Paint with water outside
- Listen to an audio book
- Make up a song
- Put all the popsicle sticks in the jar. Use your craft materials to decorate the jar.
- Whenever your little one is bored, have them pick a stick from the jar for inspiration.